Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Maple Pecan Pie

After being requested to make a pecan pie for my aunties birthday I began to freak out as I am terribly afraid of making a dessert for someones birthday then stuffing up and feeling as though I have ruined their birthday. A little silly I know but I take my cooking very seriously!

I researched A LOT of pecan pie recipes. Golden syrup VS corn syrup VS maple syrup VS brown sugar. So needless to say I was confused. I didn't want something TOO sweet, rather something a little bit more richer, not a too thick of a base either. I came across this recipe in my book COOK by the Australian Woman's Weekly and thought why not give it a try but did a few minor adjustments.

After tasting the mixture I felt it still seemed a little too sweet so I added an extra tablespoon of cream as well as a tablespoon of real maple syrup. After then tasting this, the mixture had a beautiful caramel flavour.

Only problem I really had was that the pecans didn't rise to the top. The recipe has 1 cup of chopped pecans in the mixture and then calls upon 1/3 of a cup to be placed in a pattern on top when the mixture is poured. I was a little bit disappointed but it still pleased.


RECIPE:
http://aww.ninemsn.com/food/freshtv/789282/pecan-pie

ADJUSTMENTS:
1. 3 Tablespoons of cream instead of 2 (I always used Gipsland double cream, 50% If i remember correctly and then served with this)
2. 1 tablespoon maple syrup
3. No apricot jam on top

No comments:

Post a Comment